I have been writing my first SQLRPGLE program and, while I have used interactive SQL for quite awhile, the experience has been, shall we say, illuminating. But I'm puzzled about a few seemingly elementary problems.

The scenario is that there are two systems here. The idea is to programmatically push transactions from A to B. Simple enough - I thought.

As I interpreted the SQL manual and Birgitta, et al's Redbook, the best method was to use the PREPARE statement to create the INSERT statement. Below is, I think, the relevant code. It compiles and creates the SQL package on System B when compiled on System A.

D DsHeader      E DS                  ExtName(Header)

 HdrString = 'INSERT Into SERVOHOLD/HLTKON Values(:DsHeader)';

C/Exec SQL  Prepare HeaderSQL from :HdrString
C/End-Exec
C/EXEC SQL    EXECUTE HeaderSQL
C/End-Exec

However, nothing got pushed. The job log had: Prepared statement *N not found.
Lower level message included:

Cause . . . . . : An EXECUTE statement referred to the statement *N. *N is not a valid prepared statement. The statement has one of the following conditions: -- The statement has never been prepared. -- The statement identifies a prepared SELECT or DECLARE PROCEDURE statement. -- The statement was in error at prepare or bind time. and a few other things, but the error seemed to be the last one.

STRDBG didn't tell me much (if anything) and a DUMP after the PREPARE yielded as much (nada).

After I replaced the EXECUTE statement with the hard-coded INSERT statement:

C/Exec SQL C+ INSERT Into SERVOHOLD/HLTKON Values(:dsheader) C/End-Exec It worked.
Originally, the HdrString line looked like this:

HdrString = 'INSERT Into ' + %trim(Library) + '/' + %trim(HdrFile) +
' Values(:dsheader)'; Which was the whole reason for using the PREPARE statement: To make the program variable-driven, not hard-coded.

Any idea what my faux pas is (other than trying to sound classy by using French)?

Another concern I have is with the CONNECT statement. Until I added my user id and password, the connection failed. Hard-coding, or even passing, user ids and passwords is not, in my estimation, good practice. I'm working on alternatives, but is there a way to configure System B to accept the connection without the user id and password, at least, in this context?