I'm getting more complex in my embedded SQL and am getting the following
error:

SQL0312 Variable WCUSNR not defined or not usable.

This is not happening at compile time, but at execution time.  This is the
SQL statement:

Select c.*, i.* From NXCHNBIL C
  Left Outer Join NXITMMST I
  On c.ITNBR = i.ITNBR
  Where c.ACREC = 'A' and i.NFDCD = 1 and
    ((c.CUSNR = :wcusnr and c.CHAUT <> ' ') or
    (c.CUSNR = :rchmst and c.CHAUT in :autsel))
  Order By i.MBGROP, i.MBSBGP, i.MBLINE

Debugging and a dump show the above is in variable MySQL.

I do a:

Exec SQL  Prepare Stmt1 from :MySQL;

So far I have tried 3 variables there:  1) tcusnr defined in a DS as zoned
4,0, 2) cusnr defined in a DS as packed 4,0, and now 3) wcusnr defined
standalone as packed 4,0.  All give me this same error and I do not know
why.  All show up on the dump with the expected value.

The only SWAG I have is that the host variable autsel is where the problem
actually is, but things are being reported incorrectly.  Autsel is 500 chars
long and contains:

'Y' )

with a lot of blanks at the end.  But if those blanks were a problem - well
I just don't know why it would tell me wcusnr was the problem if the real
culprint was autsel.  As I said, it's just a SWAG.

Can someone tell me where to look next?  Thanks.