Note: readdir is the readdir c runtime function.

readdir() is a Unix-type API (a system API), and is not part of the C runtime library.

Just curious to know what deallocate the memory that return from
readdir(dir_ptr).  I try to do "dealloc myDirEnt_Ptr" right before the
next readdir and the program failed.  I guess that is not necessary.

You should not deallocate the memory used by readdir(). The system automatically allocates the memory when opendir() is called, re-uses the same memory for every call to readdir(), and then deallocates it when closedir() is called.

If you deallocate it yourself (assuming the system even allows you to do that) you'll confuse the API and unpredictable results will occur.