Here is my take on subfile message handling.

I use an external service program to wrapper all the message functions.
That code is available at www.think400.dk/downloads under Trigger
Mediator (About half way down the page). Also, this example code is
available in the same package under TG0002_M02. The other modules
contain similar logic.

Would highly recommend that you use a Service Program to wrapper your
message functions. If you look at the functions, they wrapper quite a
bit of code and makes easy to use but that is my beef. Redeveloping the
world in every program. I want to write it once and not worry about
again.

TG0002 provides a very clean example of developing a green screen using
ILE, procedures and modules and includes a standard menu panel, standard
edit panel, standard single page load subfile, standard
Add/Change/Delete panel and standard validate delete panel.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Program name is imported from top level. I use one module per screen and
bind to one program.

     d ProgramName...
     d                 s                   Like(StdNam)
     d                                     Import

System data structure to get module name. These are standard in every
module.

     d SystemDataStructure...
     d                sds           333    Qualified
     d   ModuleName...
     d                         1     10
     d   UserName...
     d                       254    263

Constant for main procedure.

     d cMainProcedureName...
     d                 c                   Const('PROCESSSCREEN02')
     d ScreenOpen...
     d                 s                   Like(StdLgl)
     d                                     Inz(cFalse)

Here is main procedure code. Only thing to look at is the Program
Message Queue Code. Note I am sending the main procedure name, the
module name and the program name. If I call to a procedure that does
error validation, it sends the message to program queue connected to
this procedure, module and program. In this way, you do not have to
worry about how many levels down you are in procedure. Messages are
always sent back to the main procedures program message queue.

      * - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -
      * ProcessScreen02

      *   Do Processin for Screen 2 - Standard Input Panel.

      *   Input     - None

      *   Out       - None.

      *   Returns   - Key Pressed.

      * - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -
     p ProcessScreen02...

     p                 b                   Export

     d                 pi                  like(StdChr)

      /copy *libl/qsrcf,CB_KEYP

      /Free

         If Not ScreenOpen;

           ScreenOpen = cTrue;

           Open TG0002_D01;

         EndIf;

         If ptrTriggerHeader = *Null;

           ptrTriggerHeader = USPC_GetPointerToUserSpace('TG_CTRL_HD':

                                                         '*LIBL'     );

         EndIf;

         LoadScreenFields();

         MSGF_ClearProgramMessageQueue(cMainProcedureName            :

                                       SystemDataStructure.ModuleName:

                                       ProgramName                   );

         DoU 0 = 1;

           DisplaySubfileMessages();

           ExFmt RD01_02;

           MSGF_ClearProgramMessageQueue(cMainProcedureName            :

                                         SystemDataStructure.ModuleName:

                                         ProgramName
);
           Clear ErrorIndicators;

Send message to subfile message queue code. This code is inside a
procedure.

p Update...

p                 b

d                 pi                  Like(StdLgl)

 /Free

    TriggerHeader.THACTIVE   = B_ACTIVE;

    TriggerHeader.THRELOADUS = SystemDataStructure.UserName;

    If B_RELOAD = cYes;

      B_RELOAD   = cNo;

      TriggerHeader.THRELOADTS = %TimeStamp();

      MSGF_SendProgramMessage('UTG0001':

                              cXVMessageFileName            :

                              ' '                           :

                              cMainProcedureName            :

                              SystemDataStructure.ModuleName:

                              ProgramName                   );

      // Force screen to redisplay.

      Return cFalse;

    EndIf;

Little bit of XVMSGF. Point here is that the message ise sent to a
specific procedure, module, program.

    MessageDataLength = %Len(InMessageData);
    ProcedureNameLength = %Len(InProcedureName);
    ModulePlusProgramName = InModuleName + InProgramName;

    SendProgramMessage(InMessageId          :
                       InQualifedMessageFileName    :
                       InMessageData        :
                       MessageDataLength    :
                       MessageType          :