From: James H H Lampert [mailto:jamesl@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, 4 July 2006 8:58 AM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Knotty puzzle with chaining to files not known at
compile time

I've got a knotty little puzzle here:

I have a number of files. We know what their names are at
compile time, but not necessarily which ones actually
exist in any particular installation. We know that the
files are keyed on two fields; the leading key is either
9, 11, or 13 bytes zoned decimal, and the secondary key is
always 5 bytes, but we have no way of knowing at compile
time what the length of the leading key is.

All of this information can, however, be determined at
runtime.

We also don't know much about the record structure at
compile time, beyond the keys.

All we need to know is whether or not records exist for
each of a series of specified composite key values.

Clearly, the fact that we don't know which of these files
exist suggests treating them as USROPN, and not knowing
the record structure suggests treating them as
program-described. But any ideas on how I would chain to
these files?

--
JHHL