Thanks Jeff - unfortunately we have credit cards that use from 15 up to ALL
19 digits
I had thought of Substring, but its an SQL procedure that produces this
data, and I just cant seem to get my head around how to build a substring
with a varying length, and how to calculate that varying length

Alan

             jstevens@mizehous
             er.com
             rpg400-l-bounces@         RPG programming on the AS400 /
             midrange.com              iSeries <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             06/29/2006 09:56                                      Subject
             AM                        RE: Getting a file to excel

             Please respond to
              RPG programming
              on the AS400 /
                  iSeries
             <rpg400-l@midrang
                  e.com>

It's probably 19 digits because of the security code from the back panel.

How about...

CCNbr = %SUBST(CCNbr19:4:16);

?
Jeff Stevens
Mize, Houser & Co. P.A.
913 451 1882
JStevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Alan Shore <AlanShore@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
06/29/2006 08:53 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: Getting a file to excel

Thanks Mahesh, that is in fact what I am doing. But that displays the
whole
19 digits, including leading zeroes. What I'd like to accomplish is
display
the number in total, with NO leading zeroes, for example:-

The number 0001234567890123456, would be displayed as
                                1234567890123456

NO leading zeroes.
Am I nit-picking? Most definitely. But this way, I can stop my users
complaining (OVER & OVER & OVER...) about the credit card number looking
weird.

Thanks

Alan Shore

NBTY, Inc
(631) 244-2000 ext. 5019
AShore@xxxxxxxx

             Mahesh Pawar
             <pawarmahesh@yaho
             o.com>                                                     To

             Sent by:                  RPG programming on the AS400 /
             rpg400-l-bounces@         iSeries <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             midrange.com                                               cc

                                                                   Subject

             06/29/2006 09:18          RE: Getting a file to excel
             AM

             Please respond to
              RPG programming
              on the AS400 /
                  iSeries
             <rpg400-l@midrang
                  e.com>

Alan ,

  Better you concat Apostrophe(') with card number number.

  you can try to enter number in excel by preceeding Apostrophe( ' ). this
wil help to store number more than 15 digits.

  Regards
  Mahesh Pawar

Alan Shore <AlanShore@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Does the Char( ) work for numbers larger than 15 digits?

Alan Shore

NBTY, Inc
(631) 244-2000 ext. 5019
AShore@xxxxxxxx

keblake@highlight
s-corp.com
Sent by: To
rpg400-l-bounces@ RPG programming on the AS400 /
midrange.com iSeries
cc

06/28/2006 04:55 Subject
PM RE: Getting a file to excel

Please respond to
RPG programming
on the AS400 /
iSeries
e.com>

I use SQL to pull most of the data I take to Excel. Any numbers like UPC,
ISBN, or credit card I Char() first, then import using the I-Series Access
plug-ins for excel. Works fine. No leading zeroes and it doesn't turn the
last few digits into zeroes.

Kevin Blake
Highlights For Children
I.S. Applications Manager
614-487-2706

Visit us on the Web @ http://www.highlights.com

n.com>
Sent by: To
rpg400-l-bounces@
midrange.com cc

Subject
06/28/2006 04:48 RE: Getting a file to excel
PM

Please respond to
RPG programming
on the AS400 /
iSeries
e.com>

Yep, it shows up wrong. That's because the default cell type is general
which means that anything that looks like a number is treated that way
(it also looks like Excel doesn't handle 18 digit numbers properly). We
have the same problem with ISBNs (most have a leading zero and are all
numbers). You have to specify the cell format before you enter data. I
think there's a way to run the text import wizard that lets you specify
the format of each column but it's not obvious. Stupid Excel.

Matt