From: Scott Klement [mailto:rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2006 4:20 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Add to Character Value

Hi Don,

Does anyone know of a method to increment a character value . For
instance I want to increase the value 'A' to be the value 'B'.

The trouble with your question is that it can be interpreted two
different
ways.  Either you want to increase the EBCDIC value of the letter by 1,
or
you want to move to the next letter in sequence.  Your message wasn't
specific.

The EBCDIC value of A is 193.  Adding 1 will give you 194, which is B.
However, the EBCDIC value of I is 201, adding 1 would yield 202 which is

_not_ J.  (J is 209).

So it's not clear to me what precisely you're looking for.  To add to
the
EBCDIC value of a character, overlay the character with binary number.
When you add to the binary number, you change the EBCDIC value.  For
example:

      D                 ds
      D   char                         1A
      D   val                          3U 0 overlay(char)

       /free

          char = 'A';
          val = val + 1;

          // char is now 'B'
       /end-free

If you want the next alphabetic character without regard to the EBCDIC
sequence, then load all of the letters into an array and add 1 to the
array position:

      D alphabet        s             26A   inz('ABCDEFGHIJKLM-
      D                                     NOPQRSTUVWXYZ')

      D char            s              1A
      D val             s             10I 0

       /free

          char = 'I';