I'm having trouble understanding what you're saying.

You say initially the window properly overlay the background from PROGRAMA.
But then you say if you leave PROGRAMA and go to PROGRAMB,  did you mean
the opposite?  From B to A? Oh heck, I lost myself.

Anyway it sounds something familiar to things I've seen.   When the window
"Border" doesn't show up on the second call to the window.

 Remove windows . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   RMVWDW       Y

If ProgramB isn't overlaying background from ProgramA,  create an overlay
screen.  This record format would exist in the display for the window.
Only thing on this record format would be the OVERLAY and ASSUME keywords
and just one blank character at the bottom right, or top right. whatever,
you get the point.  Then before programb displays the window, write that
overlay screen.

A          R OVR
A                                      ASSUME
A                                      OVERLAY
A                                 24 79' '

C            WRITE    OVR
C            EXFMT    POPWIN

Michael Schutte

             "Lim Hock-Chai"
             <Lim.Hock-Chai@us
             amobility.com>                                             To
             Sent by:                  "RPG programming on the AS400 /
             rpg400-l-bounces@         iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             midrange.com                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             05/08/2006 05:17          Assume keyword on display file the
             PM                        is used by service program

             Please respond to
              RPG programming
              on the AS400 /
                  iSeries
             <rpg400-l@midrang
                  e.com>

- I've a service program that uses a display file with ASSUME keyword.
When the procedureX is called it will pop a window and overlay on the
current background.

Below is the strange thing that I've encountered:
- Let say I'm in PROGRAM and press a command key to pop the window
mentioned above.  The window pop just fine and overlay on the PROGRAMA
background.

- However, if I exit PROGRAMA and go to PROGRAMB and press a command key
to pop the same window, the window pop up just fine but for some reason
the background it used is from PROGRAMA.  I was expecting it to overlay
with PROGRAMB's background.  ??