I guess what I'm struggling with is whether these are supposed to all be
in one big variable that has a varying size, or whether they're supposed
to be in an array of variables with a varying number of elements.  In
other words, is this one variable or many variables?

 I am sorry about not being clear in my last mail. Yes, the email addresses
are supposed to be in one big variable that has a varying size. This is one
variable. So, 'jakemorkel@xxxxxx, mikesparks@xxxxxx' is supposed to be only
one variable. I want this to be varying size so that if I want to have only
one email address my variable would be 'jakemorkel@xxxxxx'.

 'accptargs4' is a Java class which  is expecting 3 args. This code will
make it very clear. I should have attached it at the beginning itself, but
here it is...

import java.io.IOException;
import java.io.PrintStream;
import java.util.Calendar;
import java.util.Date;
import java.util.GregorianCalendar;

import javax.mail.Message;
import javax.mail.MessagingException;
import javax.mail.Session;
import javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage;

import sun.net.smtp.SmtpClient;

public class accptargs4

{

           public static void main(String[] args)

                   throws IOException, StringIndexOutOfBoundsException,
MessagingException

               {

                String from = "MessagesSystem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";

               String to = args[0];
               String subject = args[1];
               String messagetxt = args[2];
               SmtpClient client = new SmtpClient("mail.mymaildomain.com");
               client.from(from);

               client.to(to);

               java.util.Properties props = new java.util.Properties();

               String smtpHost = "mail.mymaildomain.com";
               String smtpPort = "25";
               props.put("mail.smtp.host", smtpHost);
               props.put("mail.smtp.port", ""+smtpPort);
               Session session = Session.getDefaultInstance(props,null);
               Message msg = new MimeMessage(session);

               PrintStream message = client.startMessage();

               message.println("To: "+to);
               message.println("Received:" +new Date());
               message.println("Subject:" + subject);
               message.println();
               message.println("This is a test message.");
               message.println("Body:");
               message.println();

               message.println();
               message.println();
               message.close();
               client.closeServer();
               System.out.println("Email Was Sent!!");

               }

}

As, you can see the args[0] is expecting all the email addresses. So,
args[0] would be 'jakemorkel@xxxxxx, michaelsparks@xxxxxx, jimyates@xxxxxx'
or it could be 'jakemorkel@xxxxxx'(that is what I am looking for). Thank you
very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

cheers,

Jake.