I made a mistake, %CheckR doesn't check for the position where '_' is
found. It founds the first position where '_' isn't found.  Instead you
need to use the BIF %Scan

About the array, I was thinking the same thing.

iX = 0
Pos = %Scan('_' : myString);
prevPos = 0;
DoW Pos <> 0;

    iX += 1;
    Array(iX) = %SubSt(myString : (prevPos + 1) : (POS-1));
    prevPos = Pos;
    Pos = %Scan('_' : myString : (POS+1));

EndDo;

// Don't forget to add the last word to the array.
iX += 1;
Array(iX) = %SubSt(myString : (prevPos + 1));

// We know now the number of elements being used.
// To get to the third element from the end, substract 2 from iX
ThirdToLastElement = iX - 2;

This hasn't been compiled, so you  may need to debug it a little, but I
think it's correct.

PS   Please start spelling out the words.  Some of us cannot understand
your shorthand.  When I see the word  "no",  I read the word "no" not
"number", which is what you intended.

Michael Schutte
Work 614-492-7419
email  michael_schutte@xxxxxxxxxxxx

             "Stiju Easo"
             <stiju.as400@gmai
             l.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  "RPG programming on the AS400 /
             rpg400-l-bounces@         iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             midrange.com                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             04/05/2006 01:59          Re: RPGLE pgm to parse a string
             AM

             Please respond to
              RPG programming
              on the AS400 /
                  iSeries
             <rpg400-l@midrang
                  e.com>

Result should be 'word3'

I have an another idea, i am dropping plans to reverse it,
It leads to two reversal.

Another thing to note is my string is not constant length and may have any
no of '_'

I am trying to do a pass in which it populates an array(i am trying to keep
it max length)
with possition of '_' as finds ussing %checkr

when i reaches end of string i will get an array (arr) of location of '_'
and count of '_'( Say 'n')

 for string i should get string after arr(n-2)+1  and length of
arr(n-3)-arr(n-2)-1
( i have to recheck indexes)

will it work?
any other idea?