     Subject: Re: date validate
     From: Alan Shore <AlanShore@xxxxxxxx>
     Date: Wed, March 15, 2006 11:34 am
     To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

     >From my understanding, to a certain extent, what you said is true.
     However
     with a *YMD format, 060315 (todays date) is valid, but 031506 is NOT
     valid
     (there is NO 15th month). However, again from my understanding, the L
     field
     format *YMD of 060315 contains the same raw data value as the Lfield
     format
     *USA of 03152006.
     This can get really confusing!!!

     Alan

                 Booth Martin

                 <booth@xxxxxxxxxx

                 om>
                 Sent by:                  RPG programming on the AS400 /

                 rpg400-l-bounces@         iSeries <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                 midrange.com
     cc

     Subject
                 03/15/2006 12:07          Re: date validate

                 PM

                 Please respond to

                  RPG programming

                  on the AS400 /

                      iSeries

                 <rpg400-l@midrang

                      e.com>

     Is this statement true?   I am still having a hard time getting my mind
     around the idea of an L field.

     Doesn't an L field store the date any way it wants to?  Isn't the idea
     of the *YMD just to inform the L field what to expect?  That the data
     coming in is in YMD, so it can differentiate between January 2, 2003,
     February 3, 2001, and March 1, 2002?

     Fisher, Don wrote:
     > You have to perform the TESTD before moving it to the date field.
     Since
     the
     > date field is in the *YMD format, any value placed in it must conform
     > that date format.
     >
     > Donald R. Fisher, III
     > Project Manager
     > Roomstore Furniture Company
     > (804) 784-7600 extension 2124
     > DFisher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
     >
     > <clip>
     > I am getting this error cond. C
     >  Date, Time or Timestamp value is not valid (C G D F).
     > <clip>
     >  I defined this
     > D Datefield       S               D   DATFMT(*ymd)
     >
     > I move the date from the screen to Datefield. The date on screen is
     > defined as num. 6 00.
     >
     > Then I do the TEST
     > <clip>
     list