In my universe anyway.

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces+dchristen=mcleodusa.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces+dchristen=mcleodusa.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of James H H Lampert
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 3:33 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: worst RPG ever seen?

"Christen, Duane J." <dchristen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm going to get smacked down for this:
> The Amiga was the most "stable" and capable pc of its day

"Capable," maybe, but "stable"? In what parallel universe?

The Amiga multitasked with absolutely no memory protection
whatsoever (not even the level of protection one has in
WinDoze, much less Linux or OS/400), and therefore
required all applications to be scrupulously polite about
multitasking, as the first visible indication of one task
getting into another's memory was usually the appearance
of that "unwelcome visitor from the east" who dressed in
red and black, the "Amiga Guru." And by the time the Guru
started "meditating," files might already have been
corrupted.

The thing that drove me over the edge was a product called
Nimbus, which was an accounting system for small
businesses. Aptly named, as it was perpetually under a big
dark cloud.

You would expect that the database of an accounting system
would be sufficiently denormalized as to be
self-repairing, but not in Nimbus. To make matters worse,
the original developer of NIMBUS was not a professional
programmer, and had never written a non-trivial program
before in any language other than BASIC. It was written in
C, and it multitasked heavily within itself.

When it crashed, which was frequent, it invariably
corrupted its own database beyond repair.

Also, for some reason, probably closely related to the
Amiga's insane floppy disk format (3 1/2" DS/DD, but not
the DOS standard of 720k, or even the Macintosh standard
of 800k, but 880k per disk, NON-INDEX-SYNCHED!), Nimbus
disks were almost impossible to mass-produce without
corrupting them in the duplication process.

Every time I thought I'd eliminated one hidden flaw, and
we got a new release out the door, another would appear.
And I was invariably the one blamed for it.

The Amiga was a hot-rod. Very powerful, but not very safe.

--
JHHL