From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jon Paris
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 5:48 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Best way of using Service programs

 >> In practice, you don't get a signature violation if you assign your
own
signatures.  Once you supply the signature, if don't always add the
exports
to the end of the list ( which is counter intuitive ) you are in for a
lot
of trouble.

Intuition shouldn't come into it.  When you say "I control the
signature"
you assuming responsibility for making things match.  It is
fundamentally
the same situation as a level check on a file.  You can turn it off but
you'd better make sure that you add new fields to the end of the record.
SO
in as much as S/38, AS/400, iSeries, and i5 folks have been doing that
for
years perhaps it is indeed a lot more intuitive than you think <grin>

Jon Paris