What is the best way of using service programs?

There is no 'best'. There are several choices, and you should choose based on your particular situation.

Should I bind my service programs
> directly to the RPGLE programs by
specifiying on CRTPGM command or
> use a binding directory?

I use a single binding directory for all my service programs. Then I include that binding directory into all of my programs via my standard h/copy qrpglesrc,stdhspec.

The benefits include never having to worry about what service program to include on the h spec, or on the CRTPGM command. All of my programs compile with PDM option 14 -- there is no separate build step for programs that use a service program.

I also use binder source to create a unique signature for each service program. I am a software vendor, and it is MUCH easier to see what version of a service program is installed at a customer's machine when a DSPSRVPGM clearly shows me the version number in the signature.

Again, this works very well for me, but perhaps it isn't your cup of tea.
  --buck