O Wise (and Generous With Your Help) List Members,

Help again!!

I have declared two pointer based data structures Dlr & Dlr1) as 100A, each
DIMmed to 2500 initial elements and as VARYING.

I created a user space for each with an initial size of 1,000,000 and
retrieved their pointers, which are used to base Dlr & Dlr1.

Declarations:

D DlrDs           Ds                  Qualified

D  Idx                                Like(A_10)

D  Code                               Like(A_1)

D  Type                               Like(A_1)

D  Grp#                               Like(A_6)

D  Dlr#                               Like(A_6)

D  Name                               Like(A_40)

D  Stat                               Like(A_10)

D  City                               Like(A_20)

D                 Ds                  Based(DlrBase)

D  Dlr                         100A   Varying

D                                     Dim(2500)

D                                     Ascend

D  DlrIdx                             Like(DlrDs.Idx)

D                                     Overlay(Dlr : 1)

D  DlrCode                            Like(DlrDs.Code)

D                                     Overlay(Dlr : *Next)

D  DlrType                            Like(DlrDs.Type)

D                                     Overlay(Dlr : *Next)

D  DlrGrp#                            Like(DlrDs.Grp#)

D                                     Overlay(Dlr : *Next)

D  DlrDlr#                            Like(DlrDs.Dlr#)

D                                     Overlay(Dlr : *Next)

D  DlrName                            Like(DlrDs.Name)

D                                     Overlay(Dlr : *Next)

D  DlrCity                            Like(DlrDs.City)

D                                     Overlay(Dlr : *Next)

D  DlrStat                            Like(DlrDs.Stat)

D                                     Overlay(Dlr : *Next)

Dlr1 is declared identically, except for the sub-field names and basing
pointer.

The sum of the length of the sub-fields is 94, but I set Dlr and Dlr1 to 100
to hold the 'hidden' integer Bob Cozzi indicated was inserted at the
beginning of 'varying' arrays and/or data structures.

I ran the program in debug (StrDbg).

I filled 1821 elements of Dlr1 from files.

At the end of the fill procedure, I tested Dlr1(1821) and it contained
expected values.

Dlr1(1822) was empty as expected.

Because I had previously received the RNX0115 message, I evalled Dlr1(2501)
and it was displayed as empty.

I had expected an error since it had been DIMmed to 2500 elements, which I
had thought would be the limiting number.

I then continued to test and found that eval would display empty values up
to and including Dlr1(9834), but returned the following error when I evalled
Dlr1(9835): Error on operand value.

I evalled Idx and it was correctly set at 1821.

(9834 is the integer result of 1,000,000 / 102)

(102 is the declared 100 plus the 2 byte integer.)

The next statement: %SubArr( Dlr : 1 : Idx ) = %SubArr ( Dlr1 : 1 : Idx );

Resulted in the following error:

Message ID . . . . . . :   RNX0115       Severity . . . . . . . :   50

Message type . . . . . :   Diagnostic

Date sent  . . . . . . :   02/09/06      Time sent  . . . . . . :   10:09:36

Message . . . . :   Length of varying length variable is out of range.

Cause . . . . . :   The length of a varying length character or DBCS
variable

  is less than 0 or greater than its declared maximum length in RPG
procedure

  INITIALIZE in program EXPRDPGM/PICKCUSTN.

I am going to use the method(s) Charles Wilt (Thanks again, Charles) had
suggested to accomplish my sort, but would really like to understand what is
going on here.

Why does Dlr1 now have 9834 elements?

Does DIMming an array not limit the maximum number of elements it can have?

If not, why not DIM all varying arrays to '2'?

How can one 'ever' avoid the RNX0115 error if the varying arrays are going
to automatically use all allocated memory?

I am at V5R3, PTF'd as:

SF99530                5207  Installed

SF99529                  65  Installed

SF99503                   7  Installed

SF99298                  15  Installed

SF99269                   7  Installed

SF99185                   9  Installed

SF99139                   2  Installed

SF99099                   7  Installed

Thanks in advance for any explanations or directions to relevant
information.

Tim Kredlo