OK.  Don't know if this information will help any or not, but...

I looked at Netstat right after the failed connect (the one that does not issue
an actual error condition) and that remote port does not appear anywhere in the
list.  Further, I did a netsat -a on the PC and don't see that port in a
listening state.

Now, keep in mind that when I do have the socket server running on the PC that
this all works as it should. Connection is made, data sent, etc...

It's just when the socket server on the PC is not running and that port is not
listening, the connect(socket.... on the iSeries does not return an error
condition.

One final thing... I took the router out of the network and connected my pc
directly to my network modem.  The network modem has a fixed IP address (given
to me by my ISP) and is not using NAT.

I assigned an IP address to my ethernet card on my PC and so I have as direct a
connection as I could possibly make in my network setup to my iSeries.  I got
the same results as I had with the router in the mix.

It's very peculiar that the connect( is not showing an error condition, when it
should.

I freely admit that I barely understand what I'm doing here, but from the
little bit I've learned now, it appears to me that I should get an error. The
only other thing I can possibly think of is that there is more stuff in between
my PC's ethernet card and my iSeries than I realize and one or more of those
"things" are causing the connect to think that it is working correctly when
it's not.

Scott Klement <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > However, after reading your
reply, I am pretty sure that the reason why
> no errors are reported are because I am using a router (Linksys wireless
> router) which has a built in firewall. On that router, I am doing port
> forwarding to open up the port that I want to listen on with the socket
> server.

Most likely if you're blocking ICMP on your firewall (which I really doubt
you're doing if you're using an el-cheapo wireless router) the connect()
would hang and never complete.

IF you're using a proxy for port forwarding, then that would explain the
issue.  However, the cheap wireless routers usually use NAT, rather than
proxying, so I don't think that's likely.

Also, you shouldn't need to do port forwarding for OUTBOUND connections if
you're using NAT.  You'll only need port forwarding for incoming
connections.

> Based on what you said, I am guessing that the firewall is not reporting
> an error on the socket connect and that's what's causing the lack of a
> failure indicator/message.

That'd be a long shot.  To test it, try using the iSeries TELNET client.
Type TELNET HOST('whatever.com') PORT(8540).  Does that also appear to
connect, but not really?

Have you tried looking at NETSTAT *CNN after initiating the connection,
like I suggested?