Here is the V5R3 blurb on the XML Toolkit:

XML Toolkit for iSeries

The XML Toolkit for iSeriesT (licensed program offering (LPO) 5733-XT1) is
designed to provide key development enablement components, XML parsers, to
assist in the use of XML for general application or business-to-business
(B2B) solutions. The XSL transformer allows you to reformat or reorganize
XML documents to other formats (for example, XML or HTML).

The XML Toolkit approach allows for a more timely delivery of supported XML
parsers as new versions become available.

 Start of change
<http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/topic/rzamj/delta.gif
> The XML Toolkit for iSeries is based on cross-platform, open-source code
that is designed to be compliant with industry standards. Parser version 5.5
corresponds to Apache Software Foundations' Xerces-C Version 2.6. The XSL
transformer corresponds to Apache Software Foundations' Xalan-C Version 1.9.
In addition to providing the XML for C++ parser and the XSL transformer for
C++, a unique iSeries interface called XML Procedural parser is provided to
the XML for C++ parser that allows applications written in RPG, C, or COBOL
to access an XML parser. End of change
<http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/topic/rzamj/deltaend.
gif>

 Start of change
<http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/topic/rzamj/delta.gif
> Also included with the XML Toolkit for iSeries are XML Script for iSeries
and the IBMR Web Services Client for C++. XML Script for iSeries provides an
XML based build tool. IBM Web Services Client for C++ is used for building
Web Services client applications requiring Simple Object Access
Protocol/Hypertext Transfer Protocol (SOAP/HTTP) message handling in C++
environments. End of change
<http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/topic/rzamj/deltaend.
gif>

The inference is that the 5.5 version of the parser includes validating
schema processing because it corresponds with the Apache Xerces-C Version
2.6 parsers, which does include validating schemas. A bit obscure. :-)

Cheers

Larry Ducie