Douglas,
        In your first post you said that you READC on sub file A but
then you did not mention that fact in your reply to Ron.  Do you READC
on sub file A when a user presses F4?

If not then what I would do is code...
A                                          SFLCSRRRN(&CSRRRN)
A        CSRRRN         5S 0H      TEXT('SFLCSRRRN')

After you press F4 with the cursor in the sub file detail you will get
the record number of that sub file record.  You can chain to sub file A
before or after going to sub file B.  Unless I needed data from the sub
file I would chain afterwards to prevent accidental data overlays.  Then
update the account information field in sub file A and update sub file
A.

However, in the situation you are building, I would recommend against
doing a READC on sub file A when a user presses F4, since each time you
READC you set off the modified data tag for the sub file record.  If you
depend on a READC later to update the database from sub file A the READC
would not find any changed records.  Plus, if you READC when the user
presses F4, you have no way of knowing which sub file A record they were
on with out something like SFLCSRRRN() keyword.

Chaining to sub file A to update the account information is a better way
to go.  When you do that set on an indicator that conditions the sub
file detail keyword, SFLNXTCHG.  This way you will ensure that the
database update routine, should it happen to process sub file A by
READC, get changed sub file records.

Thank you,
Matt Tyler
WinCo Foods, LLC