To: "RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 8:32 PM
Subject: Re: Need some help related to special characters in O-specifications

Thank you Scott for your ideas and thoughts.

The problem here is this is not a fresh code.
It is a code that is being converted from HP3000 RPGII to IBM RPGIII.
So, we need to perform an equivalent function on the iSeries side to
acheive the desired effects.

What are the possible ways to acheive this?
All the printer files are program described.
How can specify the font (or equivalent for any other print escape
sequences) in program described print files?
Thanks in advance for more inputs.

Thanks,
Muthu

Scott Klement <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
12/30/2005 06:23 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Need some help related to special characters in     O-specifications

Actually for the above sequence of characters (8U in the
O-specifications, according to references and manuals, the desired
result is the font in the print out should be " Roman 8". When we try
generating the reports by executing these programs, we have these
special characters appearing in the hard copy (Print out of the spool).

This is a bad idea.  Don't hard-code printer escape codes in your RPG
programs unless you can find absolutely no other way to get the job done.

It's a much better idea to specify the font in the print file, and let the

iSeries or some emulation software translate it to the printer's escape
sequence.

That'll accomplish the following:

a) It'll be much easier to read the code.

b) You'll be able to switch to different printers that speak a different
language without having to re-write your RPG program.

Need some inputs/suggestions in getting the desired results. It will be
of great help if we could have a list of all such sequences and their
interpretation. If possible, alternative methods to acheive the
requirement. Thanks in advance for the same.

Hmmm... There are thousands of PCL codes.  And there are perhaps a dozen
different versions of PCL.  And many printers have some of their own PCL
codes that aren't part of the PCL specs.  Therefore, it's not really
possible for me to list them all in this message. However, a quick Google
search should turn up some places to get started:

http://www.google.com/search?q=PCL+Technical+Reference

But, again, I really recommend that you don't code the PCL directly.

As for why your particular code prints the escape sequencees instead of
changing the font, that's really difficult to say since I've never seen
your code.