I always try to show my clients the 'right' way to do things, but one
thing a contractor always has to keep in mind is maintenance. If I come
into a shop and use more advanced techniques, I also have to train the
staff in those techniques. Sometimes that's not possible. I always ask
to see their standards, or at least review some of their code.