From: Wilt, Charles
Date: 11/29/05 14:15:41
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: EMAIL Syntax Validation

Bob,

Don't take this personally as it's not meant to be but...

Every time I hear, "I'm just a contractor, I have to do as the client
wants."

It bugs the crap out of me. It often seems to be the contractor taking
the easy way out. Sometimes, because the contractor doesn't really
understand the "right" way. But usually, the contractor doesn't care as
long as he get paid.

Granted, I've got a day job...so the contracting I've done is on the
side, I don't depend on it. But I for one, would never accept a job
involving new development where at minimum RPG IV couldn't be used.

I can't believe there's that many clients out there still insisting on
RPG III that you can't say no and stay in business. I think the problem
is nobody wants to say NO and true down the money.

How about it all you full time self employed consultants out there:
Do most of your clients insist on RPG III?
Have you ever turned down a project due to a irrational RPG III
requirement?
Do you really try to show your RPG III clients the benefits of RPG IV
and/or ILE RPG?

If so many clients still insist on RPG III, then we have only ourselves
to blame.

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343