From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Douglas W. Palme
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 8:45 AM
To: RPG Group
Subject: usage of indictators with menu options

We have been using indicators with our menu options to turn on or off
certain functions, programs, etc. based on a users security settings.
As an
example, our Billing Menu uses *IN51 if it is set to *ON then the user
can
access that menu, if not, it is not even displayed for them.

However we are needing to add some additional menus that will require us

to "re-use" some of those indicators....99 just does not go far enough.
am aware that we can use them on a record level which would allow us to
do
exactly what we want, however it will require us to reset them each pass

through the menu, meaning if the menu operates in a do loop we are going
need to check them each pass.

The reason I foresee this is if say *IN51 is used on the main menu for
the
billing menu and the user is not allowed access it will be correctly set
off.  This same user may be allowed access to our maintenance menu, so
they
select option 21 on the main menu and the maintenance menu is displayed.

Within that menu they have 45 options, one of them also uses *IN51 which

they are allowed access to so it is in turn turned on.

If they F12 and cancel out of the maintenance menu, *IN51 would still be

active and thus give them access to the billing menu, which would
present a
huge security issue.

How much of a drag on the system would it present for say 50-100 users
having their security settings checked each pass? I would think quite a
lot
since it is going to be a hit on the interactive side.

Now, if someone has some other suggestions I am all ears.....It is a
problem
that we are going to need to address before long as we add new software
and
features.

If you bought it, it was hauled by a truck - somewhere, sometime.