From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Yivi
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 6:24 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: crazy embedded sql performance

Hi everybody.

Recently I converted a rather simple program from using old style
chain/reade over lfs operations to embedded sql queries, which I find
prettier even if they have to be coded breaking free-format.

The thing is that I am getting a very steep difference in performance
between the two versions, with the SQL one completing the same tasks in
about a third of the time than the old one.

I am not complaining about the 40 minutes gained, but I was rather
afraid
that the change would bring a penalty in performance, and not a bonus. I
am
still skeptic, and tend to believe something is very wrong with the
chain/reade version, even if looks good to the eye and gives the right
results.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Or I am in the right track with my
lack of faith?

Regards,

I.-