After much mucking around, found the problem in a second piece of SQL code
that was nested inside the dow loop.
The program has a couple thousand lines, and the code in question was
supposedly checked by someone more knowledgeable than myself, so I tended to
put too much trust in it.
 Sorry about all the fuss, thx for all your help.
 Regards,
 I.-