Hi Sumit,

<snip>
As per my understanding field selection(alongwith SFLSIZ = SFLPAG) can only be used for output capable fields in subfile. Field selection does not solve the problem for input or both capable fields.
</snip>

No, you can have output/both fields on a field selection subfile. If you couldn't then what would be ther point of them? The idea of field selection subfiles is to create a dynamically built panel screen - where many different types of input-capable fields can be displayed without the use of several indicators and a lot of wasteful code.

If field selection subfile can only display output fields then they would never be used - you'd simply create a standard subfile with a 80a output field and eval your int/char/zoned/packed/date/time data into it - it would just need the appropriate editing first.

We have many field selection subfiles which are input capable.

Examples are:
1) Report selection screens which dynamically build the fields based on the command used to run the report. The user then enters the selection criteria and runs the report. The screen can be tailored for each report - but it's all the same subfile program. 2) Program parameter validation program. This program is called prior to all Enquiry System programs to validate the data passed (allows us to put all business logic in a single place) and if any incompatible data is passed the validation program displays all of the program's parameter data and an error message - the user is then required to amend the data or F12 back to the caller. Again, the screen looks different, depending upon the parameters passed.

In both cases, for invalid data you can position cursor and reverse image the fields - all standard stuff.

So it can be done, and it is very nice - much better than screens with big gaps where fields are switched off - the fields always fill from the top down because that's how subfiles are written.

Cheers

Larry Ducie