I put the following in as a test and worked fine, still ahve to see performance
impact when I need to do multple file updates, with multiple fields each
 R1EFIL = INVMST
R1EFLD=BYRNUM
R1EFVL=NI
M1SSKU=000000888

when done the BYRNUM fld in INVMST had a value of NI for SKU 888.....

0001.10 c     populate      begsr
0001.11  *
0001.12 c                   eval      sqlstm=*blanks
0001.13 c                   eval      sqlstm='Update ' + R1EFIL
0001.14 c                             + ' SET ' + R1EFLD + ' = '
0001.15 c                             + $quote + R1EFVL + $quote + ' Where '
0001.16 c                             + 'INUMBR = ' + %CHAR(M1SSKU)
0001.17 c/Exec Sql
0001.18 c+ execute immediate :sqlstm
0001.19 c/End-Exec

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Don't know if this would work any faster (if it works at all)
Eval mySQL = 'UPDATE ? SET ? = ? WHERE INUMBR = ?'
exec sql prepare stmt1 using mySQL;
exec sql execute stmt1 using :r1efil, :r1efld, :r1efvl, :m1ssku;

Rob Berendt