On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 03:30 -0700, M.Kamaleshwar wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I need to write a tool program that would expand fields in files
> (database / display / printer) and also in COBOL/400 programs.
Ok.

> Can anyone throw some light on how to go about it - suggest a methodology  ?
Examine the source code of the files and programs to see what might need
to change.  Change it, then recompile the source code.  If errors,
update the source code until it compiles.  Then, test it to insure it
works correctly.

Or if you wish to automate the process, source code is stored in files,
so it *can* be updated with a program.

Figure out what kind of output you want.
Examine the type of input you have.
Write a program or programs that convert the input you have into the
output you desire.
Compile and Test, as above.

Work from a copy!

Can't give much more advice as your query is quite generalized.

> Are there any links or sites on this ?
Don't know of any, but google is your friend.