Thanks Booth, that is even better, I am still a bit unclear when you say
that a date field has no format, isn't a standard date in *ISP format? Maybe
I am not grasping what you are saying, but then again it would not be the
first time I was slow on the uptake :)

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:39:08 -0500 (Central Standard Time), Booth Martin
wrote
> One needs to understand that a date field, in and of itself, has no
> format. When you read the date you have to define the format you
> want.   There are several ways to define the retrieved values from a
> date field.
>
> In the case you ask for, the easiest is probably:
>
> MYDATE         S           L         DATFMT(*USA) INZ (*SYS)
>
> And then the valus is set; no need for the eval statement.

> Booth Martin
> http://www.martinvt.com

 *USA format by defining the variable as a date with the
> DATFMT(*USA) and
 then using an eval statement similar to the