Walden,

This could actually be a decoupling of the programs.  Program B & C are
coded to a standard interface which Program A will use to call each program.
Program A gets the names of Program B & C that actually implement that
interface from some control file.  Program A doesn't have Program B hard
coded in the program.

If he wants to create a Program D to add to the process it's pretty easy.
Code Program D to the interface and add the entry in the control file.  If
you want to get ride of the call to Program B delete the entry in the
control file for program B.  You're fidding with configuration data in files
instead of changing code in Program A - thus the decoupling.

Paul