rpg400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   1. RE: Dumb programming question.. (dkahn)
>
> (Tom Liotta) wrote:
>
>> And I _really_ don't want to know what the comments might be from
>> the many list members who are outside the U.S.A.
>
>Oh dear. This seems rather parochial. What has the geographical location of
>the respondent got to do with it? Ever heard of the Internet?

Dave:

What it has to do with are the regular news stories and debates that go on
within the U.S.A. about the apparent lower standards we end up with in terms of
math. Maybe there is significant truth within those; maybe not. But an
international community such as this list might provide some enlightening
comments on it.

There was a minor row yesterday(?) over a beginner RPG question from an
apparent non-U.S.A. list member. Well, I see no problem with a beginner asking
simple questions. But then we have an issue over simple algebra???

The algebra was a _pre-requisite_ for even starting programming courses not too
long ago. How could a beginner programming question _possibly_ be more
difficult to accept than a beginner algebra question?

I was pointing out that comments from non-U.S.A. might easily be expected to be
in the form "We learned that level of algebra in the 4th grade. How can you be
concerned over it?" And wouldn't comments like that make a mark?

Hmmm... but I see that my wording made it easy to infer a far different
meaning. I apologize for the poor wording.

Tom Liotta