Would swapping key 3 & 4  give you a big help?  key by column 1, 2, 4, and
then column 3.  It seems to me that your logical is badly formed for this
particular  purpose.

I like the cycle so I would use an L1 break on all 4 fields, and write a
record at L1 time.  At L1 total time (except the first cycle) and then also
L1 detail time.

Also you mentioned there are two files.  I'd process the second file as IS
(Input Secondary) and use MR on the 4 key fields.  Be sure to set L1 on
those ke fields, too, if you go this route.  This uses the cycle to process
the two files as one, in key order, without any need to deal with the issue
by you.

I understand that newer methods give good performance times, but as yet I
have never seen anything that is reliably faster than the RPG cycle for
reading through a huge file.

As to the coding, this is maybe a 12 line program if you use the cycle?
Maybe 15 lines, tops.  Well... there'd be 10 I lines.  So maybe its 25 lines
of code,

Booth Martin
http://www.martinvt.com