From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Hauser, Birgitta
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 2:51 AM
To: 'rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: Help in using DATFMT in RPG/400

>>1. Why can't I use DATFMT(*ISO) with DATSEP('/') for a field in Physical
file?
>>If it is a limitation ...any workaround ?
>>The default for *ISO is yyyy-mm-dd.

A date is always stored as binary value.
The date format specified in an physical file does nothing else
then to convert the binary value into a readable representation.
For all date formats with a 4 digit year the date separator is predefined
and cannot be changed.
For all date formats with a 2 digit year the date separator you can choose
between several date separators.

>>2. While displaying this field on to a Subfile, can I convert it to
yy/mm/dd
>>using some edit code or I have to do the conversion in RPG code and then
>>display it?

In an display file you can add DATFMT(*YMD) for an date field (data type L).
DATFMT(*YMD) will convert a date into a YY/MM/DD representation of the date.

>>3. Another problem is that I am using TIME to retrieve the current system
date
>>(can't use UDATE/*DATE which gives job date so it doesn't change if job
was
>>started just before midnight). But TIME does not give century (out put for
time
>>is yymmddhhmmss). How can achieve that in RPG code? I want to store the
output
>>to PF field mentioned in point 1. One way would be retrieving century from

>>*YEAR, and rest of the date-time from TIME opcode! Wanted to know if I am
>>missing any opcode, which could do it directly!!

If you define the output field for time with 14,0 the century will be
returned.
If you are using RPGIV, than you can fill your date field in your file by:
1. using the TIME operation code with the Date field from your physical file
as result field.
2. using the %Date() built-in-function without specifying any parameter and
the date field from your physical file as result field

Birgitta