From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of RPower@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 10:03 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Unable to Allocate Record (working as designed?)

The reason you're getting the unable to allocate error is because of the
fact that it has to attempt to read the next record, even if the key
doesn't match, to be sure the key doesn't match.  It can't tell that
it's done with the ReadE without actually finding a record that doesn't
match.
So in reality, it's working properly.

Ron Power
Programmer
Information Services
City Of St. John's, NL
P.O. Box 908
St. John's, NL
A1C 5M2
Tel: 709-576-8132
Email: rpower@xxxxxxxxxx
Website: http://www.stjohns.ca/
___
Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm. -
Sir Winston Churchill

"Kurt Anderson" <kjanderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
2005/07/15 12:03 PM
Please respond to

"RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Unable to Allocate Record (working as designed?)

I was working on a record lock issue, and found something that I'm not
sure is correct.

I have code below that you can use to replicate this situation.

Read through a set of records for update with ReadE.
If no more records match the key, and the next record is locked, then
the Unable to Allocate Record error will occur.
As a programmer, how can I worry about another record in the file that
may be locked (and justifiably so)?  I'd rather not code (E) on my read
because I prefer any kind of real errors to kill a program and force me
to find and fix the problem.

And the most confusing part about this problem, before I figured out
what was wrong... the error message was leading me to believe that
somehow an order maintenance program was accessing an order that was not
the order the user was working with.

To replicate with the code below:
TestPF3 needs 2 records (they need to be in the sequence listed).
1.  XXCode = 'test'
    XXWebRegD = d'2004-05-06'
2. XXCode = 'test1'
    XXWebRegD = d'2004-05-07'

Compile TestFile as a program.
Compile TestFile3 as a program.

Session A:
StrDbg TestFile3.  Set a breakpoint on the  "code = 'done'" line.
Call TestFile3.  Sit on the breakpoint line.

Session B:
Call TestFile - this will show be unable to complete normally because it
will receive the Unable to Allocate Record error.

TESTPF3

     A          R XXREC                     TEXT('description of rcd')

     A            XXCODE        30A
     A            XXWEBREGD       L         TEXT('Web Registration
Date')
     A          K XXCODE

     A          K XXWEBREGD

TESTFILE

FTestPF3   UF   E           K Disk

D keyfld          S              5    Inz('test')

 /Free

   SetLL keyfld TestPF3;
   DoU %EOF( TestPF3 );
     ReadE keyfld TestPF3;
     If not %EOF( TestPF3 );
     EndIf;
   EndDo;

  *InLR = *On;

 /End-Free

TESTFILE3

FTestPF3   UF   E           K Disk

D code            S                   Like( XXCode ) Inz('test1')

D date            S                   Like( XXWebRegD )
Inz(d'2004-05-07')

 /Free

   Chain ( code : date ) TestPF3;

   If %found( TestPF3 );