All,

I've been using results data structures to physical and logical files with little trouble. Thought I'd see how they worked with display files and in particular subfiles.

Got bit by a couple of things:

1) When reading a subfile, you often access fields defined normally defined as output only. Since you specify LIKEREC(xxxx:*INPUT) you don't get those fields.

2) Unlike physical/logical files, you can't read using a DS defined LIKEREC(xxxx:*INPUT) then do an UPDATE using the same DS.

My solutions:
1) Change all fields to be Input/Output. Use DSPATR(PR) and a "never on" conditioned DSPATR(UL) so the fields look like Output only.

2) Define another DS as LIKEREC(xxxx:*OUTPUT), since all fields are defined Input/Output, I can move the Input DS to the output DS and update via the output DS.

All and all, it works, but seems kind of messy.

Am I missing something that would make this better?

Is anybody actually doing this all the time?

What's the most popular way to make a field defined as Input/Output look like an output only to the user?

Thanks,
Charles Wilt