>> (C) write their own
>> version. Most people choose (C) unfortunately. In addition, most people
>> continue to use CALL/CALLB for APIs rather than use the prototyped call.
>> This too is very disappointing.

Have to agree with you 100% on this one Bob. How many times have we seen people
re-implementation IFS in a program. Why do you need ten different versions of
IFS logic? Everyone at my company is using CALLB with no prototyping. Enough to
make me heave and worse implementing service programs using *ENTRY PLIST's.
Absolutely scary.

There was talk at one time of developing standard class libraries (Standard
service programs) at one place but with all out ego's (Mine especially),
nothing has come of it. I would especially like to see libraries with standard
error handling models like I do in mine. Seems like that is the piece I see
missing in other stuff I see.

Jon, I wonder if this is something you might consider for the new version of "I
Didn't Know You Could Do That?". Standard class libraries available for
download and all examples using the standard class libraries and discussion of
how the class libraries were developed. Just a thought.