Wow, that sounds a lot like our shop!  The top dog (who is now an
advisor) insists that we have two source code directories - one for
RPGLE (which he doesn't understand because we (the younger programmers)
exclusively use free form), and a directory for RPGIII coding (which is
the only format he understands).

Furthermore, when we code new web pages for our RPG, he insists that we
also "green screen it" because he finds point and click too confusing!
So that usually results in our workload being increased threefold.

Hello Brian,

So he gets his hands "dirty" by coding does he? If not why should it matter to
him?

As I have pointed out before I am an "old dinosaur" who is trying to get up to
date. My problem is I contracted for about 10 years and was always too busy
earning money to keep up with most of the trends. Now I am trying to catch up,
I am just getting into API's, BIF's and free format. I have also yet to pluck
up courage and follow Bob Cozzi's "Lets build a procedure" example. Problem is,
as always, time. The stuff here is 60%+ RPGII, running on a S36 environment, we
have had a little development which I do in as near to total RPGIV as I am
able(yes there is a little RPGIII/400 in there).

Through being a member of this group I have learnt a hell of lot which I am
adding to my programs all the time, like the LOOKUP stuff Peter sent me this
morning. My company will not invest in giving me courses to update my skills,
mainly because they are a PC support company and I was forced upon them by the
company we sub-contract to, and so I try and do the best I can, and the very
skilled, and may I say courteous (never know when I may need more help :-) ),
people on here always have an answer for me.

Steve