I thought this was going to be simple but.....

I have an application that reads through IFS records, parses out fields and then writes them to a physical file using SQL. I ran into an issue with the date. It comes in as MM/DD/CCYY formatted text and I need to get it to a Julian date (actually a 5 digit number) So I thought the following would work (/FREE):

INvDate = GetNextFld(); //This returns the next field in the IFS record. In this case lets assume that it returns '05/28/2005' //convert the MM/DD/CCYY text to a julian date // D spec on the jvDate field is: D jvDate S 6D DATFMT(*JUL) // I get an error HERE at run time RNX0112 - The Date, Time or Timestamp value is not valid jvDate = %Date(INvDate:*JUL0); // Then convert the Julian date to char equivalent
         vDate = %Char(jvDate);

I am suspecting that the runtime error is occurring because the program is assuming *ISO for the date format and it is coming in as *USA. I just don't know how to tell %Date built in that I am formatting a date FROM *USA to *JUL. Do I need to add another step so that I first convert the character field to *USA date and THEN convert that to a *JUL format? Like:

    InvDate = GetNxtfld();
     USAdate = %date(INvDate: *USA);
    jvDate = %Date(USADate:*JUL);

Again, I am a little bit new to RPG IV (liking it though) so perhaps I am just using %Date wrong.....

Thanks,

Pete Helgren