The way I do that, and it works pretty well for me, is to create a display
file that has two record formats in it.  One is the message you want to
display (Processing...busy...whatever...) and which has the OVERLAY keyword
at the record level.

Let's call it S1

  A          R S1
  A                                      OVERLAY
  A                               B 2 60 'PROCESSING'

The second record format looks like this:

  A                                      DSPATR(HI)
  A          R DUMMY
  A                                      KEEP
  A                                      ASSUME
  A                                      OVERLAY
  A            DUMFLD         1A  O 13 79
*************** End of data ************************

In your RPG program, wherever you want to display your "processing" message,
simply do this:

 C                   Write    S1

Then do any other processing you want.   When your subfile is built, you can
then write it out like you normally do and continue on.  The S1 format will
disappear, (be overwritten) by the subfile control record and subfile record
formats.

BTW...you can find this tip and about 900 others just like it here: "The MC
Press Desktop Encylopedia for iSeries and AS/400"
http://www.mc-store.com/5027.html

HTH