Why not base it on a pointer? Then allocate the memory as needed.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark D. Walter
Senior Programmer/Analyst
CCX, Inc.
mwalter@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ccxinc.com

             "Shaheen Ahmed"
             <Syed.Ahmed@usamo
             bility.com>                                                To
             Sent by:                  "RPG programming on the AS400 /
             rpg400-l-bounces@         iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             midrange.com                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             05/11/2005 03:46          RE: Two Questions.
             PM

             Please respond to
              RPG programming
              on the AS400 /
                  iSeries
             <rpg400-l@midrang
                  e.com>

I want to say thank you to all who reply my question.
The reason I asked two questions is because we have some old RPG programs
where we hard coded the length of the externally defined files in a data
structure and then use this data structure to CALL RPG/CL programs.
Whenever we add/change fields into these files we have to go to the
individual programs (RPG/CL) to change the length of the data
structures/Fields.
Now I know I can change my RPG programs to get the current record length of
the files instead of hard coded length but this can't be done in CL
programs.
Wouldn't it be a good idea to ask IBM to allow us to use a variable name to
define the length of a field or data structur?
For example in file information data structure (INFSR) position 125-126
(binary) keeps the record length of a file.
(RecLength              125    126B 0) I wish somehow we can use the value
of RecLength field to define the length of a field.