Well, those are good points. And since the lack of support filenames with
the same format names is an RPG rule, RPG probably should be used to work
around it's own weaknesses. As far as using the same name for files as
formats, those are good points. Everybody seems to have their own style of
naming the file/format. But let's not forget the situation it might correct:

IBM: You can use either filename or format name on operations such as READ,
CHAIN, READE, SETLL, etc...

de Facto: You ought to know that STRANGE errors, with no explanation will
occur if you use filenames on these operations -- we don't know when, we
don't know why, we don't know where, and when they happen, They won't happen
to some people ever. The only known solution is to use the format name
instead of the filename (a non-solution, really). Perhaps it is as random as
an 18-sided dice, perhaps not. Good luck using filenames on READ, CHAIN,
READE, SETLL, etc!

I was just offering up a potential solution to the standing variance between
the documentation, and the real world.