hello everybody,

I'm just working on one program that maintans relational database with
defined referential constraints. This is simplified db:
tableA
----------
fieldA1 - UNIQUE (PARENT QEY)
fieldA2
fieldA3

tableB
----------
fieldB1 - UNIQUE (PARENT QEY)
fieldA1 - (FOREIGN KEY - tableA/fieldA1) - *delete CASCADE, *update
RESTRICT
fieldB3

tableC
----------
fieldC1 - UNIQUE (PARENT QEY)
fieldB1 - (FOREIGN KEY - tableB/fieldB1) - *delete CASCADE, *update
RESTRICT
fieldA1 - (FOREIGN KEY - tableA/fieldA1) - *delete CASCADE, *update
RESTRICT
fieldC2

tableD
----------
fieldD1 - UNIQUE (PARENT KEY)
fieldD2

tableCD - UNIQUE PARAENT KEY(fieldC1,fieldD1)
-----------
fieldC1 -  (FOREIGN KEY - tableC/fieldC1) - *delete CASCADE, *update
RESTRICT
fieldD1 - (FOREIGN KEY - tableD/fieldD1) - *delete CASCADE, *update
RESTRICT
ValueCD

When I created db and defined referential constraints I believed that
DELETE operation on TOP PARENT file tableA would cascade delete apropriate
records in tableB, tableC, tableCD. Althougth beleieved that DELETE
operation on any level (eg. in tableC) would DELETE referenced records
from depending tables.

Now I have big problem...

1st I couldn't start my RPG program until I didn't START JOURNALING all
tables that I used for INSERT.
DO ANYBODY KNOWS WHY???

2nd I Can't DELETE ANYTHING from ANY TABLE. There is message:

Message ID . . . . . . :   CPF3134       Severity . . . . . . . :   40
Message type . . . . . :   Escape
Date sent  . . . . . . :   21/04/05      Time sent  . . . . . . : 12:23:01

Message . . . . :   Referential constraint error processing member PV_BRC.

Cause . . . . . :   The operation being performed on member PV_BRC file
PV_BRC
  in library VBIGOR failed because of reason code 1. The reason codes and

  their meanings are:
    1 -- A clear operation was requested and the file is a parent file
with
  established and enabled referential constraints.
    2 -- The file specified on the TOFILE parameter is a dependent file
with
  established and enabled referential constraints.
    3 -- Referential constraint  prevented the initialization of a default

  record in member *N of dependent file *N in library *N because a
matching
  key value was not found in member *N of parent file *N in library *N.
    4 -- A copy operation was requested and the file is a dependent file
with

The point of designing and establishing constraints was to make easier
database clearing (clearing top parent file would empty all other files in
chain). Now I don't know what mistake I did or where I did it?? I read all
abauth constraints in IBM InformationCenter even used them but on Informix
and I have no any clue why this wont work.
I tried clrpfm, DELETE in strsql, DELETING IN RPG and always same error.
For now the only way to delete files is disableing constraints and that is
little stupid (why should I define them if i'm going to disable them when
I need to delete something).

Please HELP or suggest me where to find examples. I found a lot of
interesting things in IBM's Modernizing ILE Applications but still I
didn't found anything that could help me with this.

Thanks a lot!
Igor Bešlić, dipl. ing. rač.
VOLKSBANK d.d.
OJ Informatika