On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 12:34 -0500, Ramirez, Stephanie Danielle wrote:
> I am searching for a way to include pictures such as a company logo on a
> report produced through an RPGLE, RPG IV printer file or display file. I hear
> this is possible and my internet search led me to the QIMGCVTI API  to
> convert images of certain types to datastreams of the afp type. This is the
> type of datastream I would want to convert an image to in order to have it
> print. Please let me know if I'm on the right track. I'd really appreciate
> pointers or even example pieces of code.
>

> Thanks!
> S. Ramirez
> Programmer/Analyst student

True, there are iSeries api's that can deal with graphics files.  I've
had success using in 'printing' a document to the IBM AFP printer driver
on a windows box, then uploading the resulting output to the iSeries,
and then creating an overlay with the CRTOVL command.

Once you have the overlay, you can utilize it via the FRONTOVL parameter
of a print file, or use the DDS overlay command for an external print
file.

I've also had excellent results using RPG to generate postscript, which
is a printer language useful on many laser printers.  In most cases, I'd
rather produce postscript than an overlay.

--
Regards,
Rich

Current Conditions in Des Moines, IA
Scattered Clouds
Temp 78.8F
Winds out of the Southwest at 14, gusting to 24mph