I think you could eliminate the "else"

      C           STATE   IFne  'OREGON'
      C           STATE   andne 'WASHINGTON"
      C           STAET   andne 'IDAHO'
      C                   MOVE  '0'          NWSTATE
                          ENDIf
I don't know that it makes the code any prettier.  I think the 'OR's are
a good demonstration of how if statments work.  I have to admit I've
used an empty select statement as a nicer looking goto.
select;

when cond_a
   asdf();
when cond_b;
   jlljas();
when cond_c;

when cond d;
    zxc();
endsl;

My programming teachers in junior college were all high school math
teachers who couldn't take high school students any more.  They thought
it was great that compulsory education didn't apply to junior college.
One of them told us "There are three things you need to know about logic
to do programming:  The truth table for and, the truth table for or, and
DeMorgan's law."  I found out later that she skipped the truth table for
xor, but not all languages support it. I haven't needed anything else.