From: Scott Klement rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:56:26 -0600 (CST)
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Making Triggers Resilient

> Just to clarify setting the library list, the thoughts were to save the
> library list before running the trigger then put it back at end of
trigger.
> We did have doubts over this technique, i.e. performance, but it would
have
> been transparent to the user.

Regarding performance:

Make sure you use a named activation group for your trigger program, and
end the program with *INLR = *OFF.  Code your file opens in an *INZSR, and
keep them open until the activation group is reclaimed.

You definitely don't need to open & close the files on every call to your
trigger! That would be painful!

It also makes it possible to read a configuation file and force the files
to the given library/libraries only once, then keep using them for
subsequent calls.

That'll improve the trigger performance dramatically.

http://mail2web.com/ .