I have service programs that implement dynamic load of service programs if
anyone is interested. You just make the calls and it handles the rest. There is
a trick to making it work.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Vining [mailto:bvining@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 7:22 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Program binds to Serviceprogram in an fixed library instead
of searching the LibraryList.

What I have done in the past in similiar situations is use the Resolve
System Pointer (rslvsp) MI instruction to locate the *SRVPGM, the Activate
Bound Program Long (QleActBndPgmLong) API to activate the *SRVPGM, and the
Get Export Long (QleGetExpLong) API to get the procedure pointers for the
functions exported by the *SRVPGM.  At that point you simply call the
functions through the procedure pointers.  The documentation for rslvsp,
QleActBndPgmLong, and QleGetExpLong can be found in the V5R3 Information
Center.

This provides for dynamic linking to *SRVPGMs entirely under your control.

Bruce Vining

             Eduard Sluis
             <eduard@implement
             ed-systems.com>                                            To
             Sent by:                  RPG400-L Midrange
             rpg400-l-bounces@         <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             midrange.com                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             02/17/2005 10:39          Program binds to Serviceprogram in
             PM                        an fixed library instead of
                                       searching the LibraryList.

             Please respond to
              RPG programming
              on the AS400 /
                  iSeries

Dear all,

We create systems that can interact with many banking systems.
To do so we make use of API programs to retrieve different types of data or
inflict execution of bankingssystem functions.
Typically we have in several API library's the same named API programs that
execute the same kind of functions to different bankingsystems.
To interchange the API used by the basing system we just change the API
library used.

To modernize one and other we have planned to create one serviceprogram as
API for each bankingsystem containing all the to be used functions to the
bankingsystem.
However when we create programs in the basingsystem and define the
serviceprogram to be used it not only stores the program but also the
library where the first occurrence of the serviceprogram is found.

At execution time not the library list is used to find the serviceprogram
and execute the correct one in the in the library list defined API library
for its environment but the one that was administrated when the program was
created.
Obviously this does not give the correct results and at clclient sitesith
other lilibrary structurest would even create disasters.

Is there a way to make the system just search the library list and execute
the service program that is first found in the library list? As it should
do! Or do we have to refrain from this and need to keep on using the
existing Call's??

Kind regards,
Eduard Sluis.