yes, you are right.

*srvpgm is not include into PGM1, you have a link to the service pgm include
in pgm1.
in addition, you can add a new procedure to SRVPGM1 and with the exported
source (QSRVSRC) you can without recompiling let PGM use the previous
exported procedures and when you compil a pgm using the SRVPGM1 use the new
procedure.

You can see that like a level control on file.

i add a proc proc3, create the module, update SRVSRC and after that create
the *SRVPGM
each PGM use (until they are recompiled) the *PRV list of procedures

STRPGMEXP PGMLVL(*CURRENT)
  EXPORT SYMBOL("proc1")
  EXPORT SYMBOL("proc2")
  EXPORT SYMBOL("proc3")