From: rob@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:rob@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 12:29 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: Externalizing I/O was RPG read loops

-1) I don't see how it would speed I/O.  Does your I/O routine do a some
sort of update... %fields(...)?  Or what?

1)  Only one place to recompile.  When changing existing field sizes and
data types this quickly becomes a myth.

2)  Logicals.  Bear some strong merit.  In fact, I've see a vendor package
do this.  They changed all the physicals to a new name.  A logical doing
some mapping, etc to have the same record level format was created.  And
this had the old file name.  Your existing programs worked without change.
Deciding on a separate logical for each program is a bit extreme.

3)  SQL.  Mostly what I disagree is a matter of opinion so I'll let that
drop.  The precompiler, while it still has room for improvement, saw vast
improvements in V5R3.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

Alan Campin <Alan.Campin@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/02/2005 01:05 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: Externalizing I/O was RPG read loops

Simple, it is called database independence. Something we hardly ever think
about on the AS/400.

What we do on the AS/400 is bring the whole table into every program and
the next thing we know we have five hundred programs referring that table
and making the smallest change to the table becomes a nightmare so we
create sub tables with a few more fields and then we get that table used
in so many programs that we don't want to recompile everything so we
create another sub table, so on and so forth.

I have seen this scenario played out in so many systems, it is not funny.
At my current company, they wanted to add one field to a table and we have
Turnover but we had one programmer working for 3 weeks just making up
compile lists to update one table and trying to get all the programs to
recompile. What a mess!

The whole concept of a database is that we can separate the physical and
logical views of the database. Bringing the entire table defeats that. It,
also, slows down I/O tremendously.

Solutions:
1. Externalize the I/O. Put the I/O in one program.
                 Advantages
                                 Only one place to recompile.
                 Disadvantages
                                 Complex I/O programs and tons of them
unless you write a general purpose program and that requires C.
                                 Cannot tell what files are being used in
a program.
2. Use field select logicals.
                 Advantages
                                 Brings in only what you need and allows
complete data base independence.
                                 Big increases in I/O performance.
                                 Allows cross reference tools to see what
files are being used.
                 Disadvantages
                                 Tons of logicals. One per file per
program. Pain to maintain and create.
3. Use SQL
                 Advantages
                                 Assuming you select your fields, brings
in what you need.
                                 Allows easy joins.
                                 Complete data base independence.
                                 See which files are used in a program.
                 Disadvantages
                                 Difficult to enter SQL into RPG programs.
Hopefully this will vanish with free form SQL statements.
                                 Have to deal with precompiler which is a
complete pain.
                                 Single table I/O is slower but only a
fraction.

The solution, obviously at least to me, is for us to use SQL and that is
the direction everything is going but most of the time, if we want to
provide some kind of database independence, we externalize the I/O but
that has it share of problems.

I keep waiting for free format SQL making it easy to enter SQL statements.
Then maybe SQL will take off for I/O in RPG.

Anyway, my two cents, again.