Thanks Simon.  I figured it was out of reach from RPG

<snip>
> Why are you passing string parameters by VALUE? If you're worried about
> space you should be passing by constant reference using CONST. In
> general, you should use CONST and avoid VALUE unless the interface you
> are prototyping requires it (i.e., a C-style interface you have no
> control over).
</snip>

The modules purpose is to parse a line of text from a report file, and
extract the pertinent values into a data struct that the main program
will then write to a database file.  To determine if a line contains
an account number, or a denial message, I have to check many offsets
of data in the text line.  What I am doing is passing the parameter by
value so that I can have several data structures based on pointers
that point to the passed parameter.  I don't believe I can point a DS
at a parameter unless it is passed by value.  And if I pass it by
reference, I could then move it into a variable that is local to the
module, but either way, 140 bytes are going to get moved, so I decided
on passing by value.

--
"Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue..."