Kurt,

> My thought is: modify the procedure to be 3A instead of 1A (which I
> think you're saying is wrong, or more prone to problems).
>
> Me: modify ProcA to reflect the new field length, potentially modify
> programs that call this procedure, and recompile programs that use the
> module this procedure is in.
>
> You (again, from my understanding): create ProcB to reflect the new
> field length, recompile programs that use the module this procedure is
> in.  Write code around ProcA to catch and send an error when attempting
> to pass ProcA a value greater than it can accept... Or check the value
> of the code field and move it into a 1a field (if the one
> [code_likeFldA] in the proc call is defined with Like(FldA)) and call
> ProcA, else call ProcB.

Sorry I'm coming late to the party, but changing the parameters of an
existing exported sub-procedure is a very bad idea.

Sorry i don't have more time to explain, but I do have an article that
may help a bit.  It also discusses an approach I use called "Dual
Prototyping" to help manage exactly this kind of change:

http://www.itjungle.com/fhg/fhg051204-story03.html

HTH,

Joel Cochran
http://www.rpgnext.com