How about something like this?

      /title Prompt command and return command string
     P svv041_chk      b                   export

     D svv041_chk      pi             7
     D  qp_cmd_str                 2000

     D  q_cmd_str      s           2000

     D qcapcmd         pr                  extpgm('QCAPCMD')
     D   qp_cmd_str                2000
         Command string
     D   qp_len                      10i 0 const
         Command string lengt
     D   qp_ocb                            like(q_opt_ctl_blk)
         Options control bloc
     D   qp_ocb_len                  10i 0 const
         Control block length
     D   qp_format                    8    const
         Format ID
     D   qp_new_str                2000
         Generated command st
     D   qp_chg_len_i                10i 0
         Size of receiver fie
     D   qp_chg_len_o                10i 0
         Bytes returned
     D   qp_err_ds                         like(q_err_ds)
         Error data structure

     D q_opt_ctl_blk   ds
     D  q_cmd_type                   10i 0
         Type of processing
     D  q_DBCS_data                   1    inz('0')
         DBCS translation
     D  q_prompter                    1
         "Always prompt"
     D  q_syntax                      1    inz('0')
         "library/object"
     D  q_msgkey                      4    inz(*blanks)
         Message key
     D  q_reserved                    9    inz(*loval)
         Must be hexadecimal

     D q_err_ds        ds
     D  q_err_bp                     10i 0 inz(%size(q_err_ds))
     D  q_err_ba                     10i 0 inz
     D  q_err_msgid                   7    inz
     D  q_err_resv                    1    inz
     D  q_err_data                  200    inz

     D q_chg_str       s           2000    inz
     D q_chg_str_len   s             10i 0 inz(%size(q_chg_str))
     D q_chg_len_out   s             10i 0 inz

      /free

       q_cmd_str   = qp_cmd_str;
       q_cmd_type  = 9;                                         //Type
of processing
       q_prompter  = '1';                                       //Always prompt

       callp    qcapcmd(
                        q_cmd_str:                              //Command string
                        %len(%trimr(q_cmd_str)):
//Command string length
                        q_opt_ctl_blk:
//Option control block
                        %len(q_opt_ctl_blk):
//Length of option control block
                        'CPOP0100':                             //Output format
                        q_chg_str:
//Output command string
                        q_chg_str_len:
//Output command string size
                        q_chg_len_out:
//Output command string provided
                        q_err_ds);
//Error data structure

       if q_err_msgid = '';
       qp_cmd_str = q_chg_str;
       return '';
       else;
       return q_err_msgid;
       endif;

      /end-free

     P                 e

I tried to include a GOTO just for old times' sake but couldn't figure
out where.

-reeve